09 March 2009

Swimming Pool Contractor Mentality Towards You-Top Secret Stuff

Not all pool companies are created equal. There are some amazing practices in this industry and what goes on behind the scenes would blow your mind. Many times, I have shook my head and wondered how some of these companies actually stay in business. Not all of them operate like this, but there are a number who do. Here are some experiences I have had first hand and are things to look out for.

1970's mentality that the pool guy is right, the homeowner is wrong.

The homeowner is crazy, or just looking for something for nothing.

Give them a free raft so they quite calling 50 times a day.

I'm not calling Mrs. Smith back because she does nothing but yell at me.

It's not in the contract, so they can p*** off.

I'm not here for my health lady, now give me a check.

Go ahead and call your lawyer, I already have all of your money.

Maybe the electrician won't realize that I only put 50 feet of wiring in the job when it needs 300 feet.

I know. It seems like we have lots of complaints, but that is because we build lots of pools.

Yeah, we put the wrong tile on but it is going to cost too much to replace it with the right stuff and it won't ever be the same.

The pool was placed in the setbacks because you didn't have your property markers in the right spot.

You authorized us to change that color and I'm sorry no one told you how much that was going to cost. Here is the $1800 upgrade bill, pay or we don't finish the project.

Hi, I'm here to go over the contract you already signed. I see you didn't buy the best pump for running both a pool and a spa. Let's just upgrade that for you.

I don't know why the salesman told you that but that isn't what is in the contract. Oh, you can't call him because he doesn't work here anymore.

At least one of them speaks English, they are just pretending not to so they don't have to talk to you.

We supervise all of our subcontractors. (actually can mean from an office where they never see your yard)

Oops, I wrote that wrong in the proposal so we will just adjust it here on the contract.

We have to get all of your money up front. It is industry standard and because we have so much wrapped up in materials before finishing. (actually, they know that if anything is left undone without having all of your money, they may never see it.)

I could go on and on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments and questions in accordance with the terms of the site. Thanks.